Planning and Design Department
Click to view Current Projects including bond-funded projects.
The Planning and Design Department is charged with addressing the challenges of our growing community by planning for, designing and constructing future parks, trails and recreation facilities. We look forward to meeting these challenges and we invite you to join us by sharing your thoughts about the future of your Bend Park & Recreation District. The District is committed to continuing to provide the outstanding park and recreation system appreciated and expected by the citizens of the Bend community.
One of the most important planning steps is to ensure that long-term community interests are addressed. In September 2005, the District adopted a new Park, Recreation and Greenspaces Comprehensive Plan to guide the planning and development of parks, facilities and recreation programs during the next 20 years. The 2005 Plan is being reviewed and revised during 2012. Dates of public meetings and ongoing updates of the draft chapter revisions will be posted under Comprehensive Plan. See also, the results of the 2008 Community Interest and Opinion Survey.
Goals, objectives and policies included in the Comprehensive Plan provide the basis by which we organize the District's capital improvement plan, provide five-year strategic planning, and guide our facility development efforts on an annual basis and into the foreseeable future. View the 2012-2017 BPRD Strategic Plan.
BPRD is committed to involving our residents in the planning and development process by:
- Conducting periodic community interest and opinion surveys that help guide our long-range planning and development efforts. A community survey was last done in the spring of 2008 to inform the Comprehensive Plan project.
- Hosting neighborhood park project meetings to invite residents to share their desires and concerns regarding the development of smaller parks near their homes.
- Hosting community-wide meetings to gain citizen input concerning the design and development of larger community park projects and sport fields.
- Staying in touch with the community through presentations to neighborhood associations, service clubs, professional and business associations, schools, and various other organizations. If you would like more information concerning these presentations, please contact Michelle Healy, Strategic Planning & Design Director, at (541)706-6113.
District Statistics: 2013
- Total park acreage: 2,659 acres
- Developed park acreage: 1,531 acres
- Miles of trail: 65 miles
- Estimated district population: 79,384
Read about Planning for Play - a Bend Bulletin article on the importance of neighborhood parks.
Read the Park Access Study, Barrier Removal Request, and Appendix ABC - a report on accessibility in BPRD parks and outdoor facilities.