8th Annual Wally Wallace Cup Hockey Tournament – March 17 – 18
Hosted by Bend Park & Recreation District.
Wally Wallace was born April 1, 1930 in Calgary, Alberta where he began his life-long affiliation with Canada’s national pastime, ice hockey. On the ice, Wally had blazing speed, was an outstanding goal scorer, and traveled throughout western Canada and Alaska chasing his NHL dream and playing the game he loved. He moved his family to Bend in 1969 and established youth and adult hockey programs at the Inn of the 7th Mountain ice rink in 1971, and in the 1990s at the Sunriver Resort rink. For over 35 years, he coached generations of Central Oregon ice and roller hockey players until health issues required him to hang up his skates in 2006. Wally passed away November 27, 2013, but not before his dream of ice-based recreation on a full-size rink became a reality with passage of Bend Park & Recreation District (BPRD) Bond Measure 9-86 which funded the construction of The Pavilion.
Since 2011, local hockey players come together to compete each year for the Wally Wallace Cup which recognizes and celebrates his contributions to the ice sports culture of Central Oregon. Adult hockey players 18 and over are invited to register through BPRD’s website and participate in this year’s 3-on-3 tournament in honor and memory of Wally for his years of tireless work for our community.
• Pool Play/Round Robin Format
• Depending on registration there may be more than one division.
• Maximum of 9 players and 1 goalie per team
• Team Rosters will be drafted by BPRD
• Full Ice 3 on 3 format
• Two 10 minute running time periods (3-minute warm up & 1 minute between periods)
• Minor Penalties: 2:00 minute running time; Man-advantage to non-penalized team (4 on 3 etc)
• All fighting and misconduct penalties will result in tournament ejection for Penalized players.
• 3-minute sudden-death for ties after regulation time. Tie awarded if no goal during OT.
• Tie Breakers: 1) Head to Head, 2) Goals for, 3) Goals against, 4) Goal Differential.
• Two-official system
• All players to provide white and dark (no gray or yellow) jerseys.
Winter Solstice Celebration – December: Thank you for coming!
Contributing more than 440 pounds of food to NeighborImpact’s Food Bank.
Kicking off two weeks of holiday skate sessions, The Winter Solstice Celebration was held at The Pavilion on Friday, December 22, 2017 from 5:30 – 8:30 pm. The event featured skating, treats and cocoa, raffles, a photo booth and performances by Bend Ice Figure Skating Club. More than 370 skaters received a special $6 rate with their food donation to Neighbor Impact’s Food Bank, contributing more than 440 pounds of food.
Cascade Invitational Hockey Tournament – January
Thank you for joining The Rapids at their annual Cascade Invitational Tournament on the weekend of January 26-28, 2018 at The Pavilion in Bend. Teams from Idaho, Oregon and Washington will be in attendance. More at bendice.org.