District Information on Air Quality:
Wildfires in Central Oregon and other areas may be impacting air quality today.
- We are monitoring the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Air Quality Index (AQI).
- For regional fire information, visit the Central Oregon Fire Info website. Fire information is available in English and Spanish.
Please remember that children are particularly sensitive to smoke because their respiratory systems are still developing.
Parents: Watch the smoke forecast and decide when to limit your child(ren)’s activities. If you do not wish for your child to spend time outdoors, please consider if the activity or program is the right choice for your family this week.
District staff monitor the air quality index (AQI) on an ongoing basis using DEQ AirNow, and will make the following modifications to outdoor programs that cannot be relocated indoors:
- AQI 100-150: Outdoor activities may be modified including decreased intensity and duration with more frequent breaks.
- AQI 151-200: Outdoor activities will be modified if they cannot be moved indoors.
- Short Programs (less than 75-minutes): will be limited to light activities and increased rest periods if they cannot be relocated indoors.
- Half day and full-day programs: will be moved indoors or postponed/cancelled if no indoor location is available. If relocated indoors, outdoor time will be limited to a total of one hour with light activities and increased rest periods.
- Drop-in activities: Adult and all ages self-directed activities such as lap swim, family swim and roller skating will continue if staff is able to safely work.
- AQI 200 or more: All outdoor activities will be cancelled and outdoor recreation facilities closed.
- If you or your child are sensitive to air pollution or smoke or have asthma, let us know so we can help modify the activity, and when in doubt do not participate.
Air quality conditions can change rapidly and we will do our best keep you informed of program status. We will normally notify you via email 1-2 hours prior to the start of the activity if it is delayed or cancelled due to smoke. We will also post delays and cancellations on our website. In the event that an activity already in progress is canceled due to poor air quality, we will contact you to pick up your child within 1 hour.
Oregon Health Authority: