Public Health Advisory
Modified operations due to COVID-19:
Parks and trails open with temporary use and distancing rules.
Playgrounds and basketball/volleyball courts closed.
All facilities and offices closed.
Juniper Swim & Fitness Center limited reopening June 8.
Programs canceled until June 15.
Summer program registration now open.
Pickleball and tennis courts to reopen by Saturday
May 22, 2020
The Bend Park and Recreation District will reopen some of its sport courts by Saturday, May 23.
Additional clarity has been received and the opening is permissible for tennis and pickleball courts. Basketball, volleyball and other contact sports are still prohibited.
Reopening includes temporary use rules to ensure safe conditions for play while maintaining distance and minimizing touching of shared equipment.
“The additional patience was much appreciated as we worked to gain clarity on guidelines for reopening of these park amenities,” said Michelle Healy, deputy executive director, Bend Park and Recreation District. “We are hopeful that the temporary rules will be followed safely and in consideration of the pandemic situation in our community.”
Signs are being placed at sport courts to inform park users of temporary use rules. A park locator is available with details about park amenities and locations.
Temporary use rules:
- Maintain six-foot distancing from others at all times.
- Don’t congregate on courts, in common areas, or parking lots. Limit or stagger playing groups.
- Play singles – doubles play with household members only. Wash hands with soap and water and bring hand sanitizer to
- Clean and sanitize paddles, rackets and water bottles. Do not share equipment.
- Avoid touching gates, fences, nets, benches,
- Use your paddle, racket, or shoe to pass out-of-play balls. Consider wearing gloves to help avoid touching pickleballs or tennis balls.
- Coordinate your group so each person serves with a different colored or numbered ball. If that’s not an option, mark personal balls for individual use.
- Virtual handshakes only.
Do not play if:
- You have coronavirus symptoms: mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, coughing, difficulty breathing, or other symptoms identified by the CDC.
- Have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Are a vulnerable individual and/or have underlying health
Players are encouraged to use their own judgment to determine their ability to participate. Voluntary compliance with temporary rules is crucial to keep facilities open as we continue through the pandemic.