Volunteer coaches needed for record-high youth flag football program
August 31, 2016
Bend, Ore. – (Aug. 30, 2016) — The Bend Park and Recreation District Youth Flag Football program enrollment is at an all-time record high with more than 470 youth participating on 47 teams. Adult volunteers are needed to coach teams this season.
The fall flag football season runs Sept. 6 through Nov. 5. Program participants are boys and girls in first through sixth grade in the 2016-17 school year. Practices are held twice weekly with games played on Sundays. Coaches volunteer approximately five hours per week for the 10-week season.
Volunteer coaches are needed for the following teams:
· Bear Creek/Silver Rail Elementary Schools — 1st/2nd grade Packers
· Highland Magnet/Pine Ridge/Silver Rail Elementary Schools — 5th/6th grade Ravens
· Highland Magnet School — 1st/2nd grade Jets
· Highland Magnet School — 3rd/4th grade Packers
· Ponderosa Elementary School — 1st/2nd grade Steelers
· Ponderosa Elementary School — 1st/2nd grade Jaguars
· Lava Ridge and Ponderosa Elementary/Sky View Middle School — 5th/6th grade Steelers
· Cascade Middle School/High Lakes Elementary School — 5th/6th grade Texans
“Volunteer coaches are an essential part of the program, providing support with program logistics, coaching and mentoring youth,” said Rich Ekman, sports program coordinator, Bend Park and Recreation District. “Volunteers must enjoy working with youth and be able to create a positive, encouraging recreational environment for all players.”
Training and on-going support is provided to volunteer coaches. All coaches must complete a volunteer application and criminal history background check, as well as online concussion awareness training.
Online volunteer application and background check available at www.bendparksandrec.org.
For more information contact:
Rich Ekman, Sports Program Coordinator
Kim Johnson, Volunteer Coordinator