Float the Deschutes River
The Deschutes River is one of the most spectacular rivers in the region. A great way to enjoy it is from a canoe, kayak, paddleboard or float, such as a tube.
To keep your float enjoyable, it's important to know where to go as well as some safety tips and regulations. A popular route to float the Deschutes River in Bend is from Farewell Bend Park to Drake Park. Please refer to the following map and directions:
- Access the river at Riverbend Park or at McKay Park (easier).
- If you start at Riverbend Park then you must take out of the river on the left bank above the Colorado Street dam. Going through the dam can be fatal. Return to the river at the beach at McKay Park.
- End your float at Drake Park.
- Make a loop with a shuttle service through Labor Day.
Ride the River Shuttle: Cascade East Transit's floater shuttle service every Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, third weekend in June through Labor Day. For schedules, fares and other details, visit Cascade East Transit's website.
Sun Country Tours Shuttle: Tuesday through Thursday through Labor Day.
More information at: http://www.suncountrytours.com/River_tubing/
River Floating Safety Tips:
- Be aware and plan. The Deschutes River has calm waters suitable for floating, but it also has points of danger. (See danger spots and portage paths on map).
- State law requires that each vessel carry one Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person on board, and children age 12 and under are required to wear life jackets.
- Bend City ordinance prohibits possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages on or in the Deschutes River.
- Protect native plant and wildlife! Put in and take out of the river at designated boat landings and portage paths (see map).
- Help keep our river clean. Secure your gear to avoid disposal of garbage in the river.
- Enjoy yourself!
Life Jacket Rentals: Free for Kids 12 & under!
- Available through Sun Country Tours at Riverbend Park through Labor Day
- Kids 12 & Under: Free life jacket rental. Can simply rent for the day, return by closing. No additional rental needed so kids can safely play in the river, etc.
- Kids & Adults Over 13: Life jackets included with float, paddleboard or boat rental.
- Available at Riverbend Park: 10:00 am – 5:30 pm through Labor Day
- More information on rentals at: http://www.suncountrytours.com/River_tubing/