By The Numbers
Fun by the numbers: A snapshot BPRD Park Services
Bend Park and Recreation District’s Park Services crews work every day of the year to care for your parks, trails and recreation facilities. To help you understand what it takes for Park Services to do such important work, here are some fun numerical facts:
- Clean 21 hours a day, seven days-a-week from 6:00 am to 3:00 am the next day.
- Take care of cleaning at eight recreation facilities.
- Service more than 109 toilets. In January through October 2017, more than 21,000 standard rolls of toilet paper were restocked.
- Spent nearly 2,500 hours annually maintaining all types of equipment from trucks and buses to mowers and trimmers.
- Use about 27,000 gallons of gasoline and 7,500 gallons of diesel fuel a year.
- Mow 180 acres – adding up to about 4,680 mowed acres annually, using 40 tons of fertilizer, 700 gallons of athletic field paint and 7.5 tons of chalk.
- Maintain 1,800+ irrigation valves and 54 central control irrigation systems.
PARK SERVICES ADMINISTRATION
- Answer approximately 6,500 phone calls a year.
- Manage 250 utility meters each month.
- Coordinated park use for 83 community events including 27 runs/walks in 2017.
- Made 6,484 contacts with park visitors in June through August 2017 for issues including illegal activity, first aid assistance, vandalism and off-leash dogs.
- Added approximately $124,000 worth of amenities such as kiosks, signs, bike racks, fences, benches, tables and bollards.
- Planted thousands of grasses, forbs, shrubs and trees.
- Care for 60 miles of trails.
- Maintain all District natural spaces which comprise two-thirds of the District’s properties.