Class Title: Bus Driver
Class Code: BUS DRIVERHourly: Varies
This classification is responsible for operating a school bus and/or other District vehicles to transport children to and from recreation program sites and related activities in a safe, timely and economical manner.
Works under the direction of a supervisor. Carries out work independently but work and decisions are typically reviewed prior to final execution.
Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this classification.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The information provided below encompasses the typical duties and capabilities linked with this classification. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Operate school bus in accordance with Oregon Revised statues, Department of Motor Vehicle code, school bus drivers manual and District policies.
- Responsible for providing safe transportation and driving the bus to pick up and return participants to designated sites.
- Assist recreation leadership staff with direct program supervision.
- Maintain bus in a clean manner and free of litter at all times.
- Maintain an up-to-date first aid card.
- Maintain a record of trip mileage.
- Maintain a safe orderly atmosphere on the bus at all times.
- Report immediately any mechanical trouble, tire problems, inoperable safety equipment or other questionable item to supervisor or mechanic for follow through and action.
- Conduct pre-trip inspection of the vehicle and report any deficiencies to the proper authorities.
- Maintain the assigned vehicle by cleaning items such as windshield, mirrors, light lenses, floors and seats.
- Ensure the safety of program participants, enforce bus safety rules and regulations, and if necessary, provide first aid. Report all incidents/accidents to the Supervisor, immediately. Complete and submit accident/incident records and forms.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service. Create a positive experience for youth and patrons through professional and courteous behavior.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The individual in this classification is expected to possess and exhibit the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
Strong Knowledge of:
- Laws, rules and regulations governing school transportation;
- Safe and defensive driving techniques;
- Motor vehicle laws;
- Operation of school bus;
- Proper procedures to follow in case of accident;
- The mechanical composition of a bus.
Skill and Ability to:
- Safely drive a school bus under varied conditions and maintain a safety conscious attitude;
- Maintain order and enforce rules on a school bus;
- Work cooperatively with others and create a positive, constructive relationship with staff and the general public.
The following are minimum qualifications for this classification.
Education, Experience, and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalency; AND
- Some previous experience driving and operating a school bus safely and efficiently, OR
- Any satisfactory combination of education, experience and training
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possess an appropriate valid Oregon Class B Commercial driver’s license issued by State of Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles
- Successfully complete all trainings, examinations and tests required by Bend-LaPine School District to operate a school bus
- First Aid and CPR certification
The following are working conditions, including environmental and physical demands, required for this classification.
- School bus drivers are required to ensure the safety of program participants. Exposure to inclement weather and the hazards associated with vehicular travel are routine of this position.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Manual dexterity and coordination; daily precise control of fingers and hand movements while operating bus.
- The flow of work and character of duties involve normal mental and visual attention much or all of the time.
Full-Time or Part-Time
Benefits: SeasonalCurrent Job Opportunities