Class Title: Specialty Instructor
Class Code: SPECIALTY INSTRHourly: $22.42 - $29.60 | Monthly: $3887.54 - $5130.93 | Annually: $46650.56 - $61571.19
Benefits: Part-time, non-benefited | Seasonal
This classification is responsible for planning and instructing specialized classes and activities. Develops curriculum, prepares materials, instructs class, monitors participants, and evaluates classes.
Works under the supervision of a supervisor. Follows standard processes and procedures without supervision but confirms changes to standard practices and significant decisions in advance.
Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this position. However, leadership and direction may be provided to volunteers.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The information provided below encompasses the typical duties and capabilities linked with this classification. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Instructs assigned classes, programs and activities.
- Plans, organizes and implements curriculum based upon overall program objectives and guidelines.
- Oversees the safety, comfort and progress of participants.
- Develops rapport with participants and responds to questions, concerns, etc.
- Collaborates with Coordinator/Management staff to develop, plan and schedule classes.
- Communicates with staff regarding facility, equipment and supply needs.
- Sets up, takes down, and cleans-up after class as required.
- Addresses program specific risk management/safety issues.
- Facilitates inclusion of special needs participants in program.
- Manages accidents and incidents according to procedures.
- Acts as a Mandatory Reporter; reports incidents of child abuse/neglect.
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The individual in this classification is expected to possess and exhibit the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
Strong Knowledge of:
- Recreational activity for which providing instruction and/or supervision;
- Theory, principle and practices for specialized area; and
- Curriculum and effective teaching methods for area of assignment
Skill and Ability to:
- Demonstrate competency in specialized area;
- Communicate effectively with a diverse group of people;
- Effectively prepare and present lessons to a variety of audiences taking into consideration age, abilities and levels;
- Effectively handling disruptions, conflicts, and responding to problems addressing customer service concerns, and emergency situations as they arise; and
- Work cooperatively with others and create a positive, constructive relationship with staff and customers.
The following are minimum qualifications for this classification.
Education, Experience, and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent; college coursework or vocations training with emphasis in related field preferred; AND
- Two (2) years of professional level experience in area of specialty; OR
- Any satisfactory combination of education, experience and training.
- Some teaching experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Some positions may require possession of or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire a valid First Aid/CPR certification.
The following are working conditions, including environmental and physical demands, required for this classification.
- Depending upon job assignment, duties may be performed either indoors or outdoors, which may include working in extreme weather conditions.
- Work schedule generally requires weekday hours with occasional weekends and holidays.
- Ability to walk and stand for sustained period of time with frequent climbing, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending, and twisting.
- The flow of work and character of duties involve normal mental and visual attention much or all of the time.
- Physical exertion includes frequent walking, bending and the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds unassisted, pushing, pulling, and kneeling in order to store, set-up, and clean-up equipment and supplies.
- Exposure to large crowds, uncooperative or difficult individuals, exposure to illness, and periods of continuous demand.
Benefits: Part-time, non-benefited | SeasonalCurrent Job Opportunities