Fall 2023 registration
Fall 2023 Playlist
Class Title: Sports Official
Class Code: SPT OFFICIALHourly: Varies
Provide officiating services to specific sports competitions. BPRD Sports Officials are responsible for providing an atmosphere of fun in a competitive, yet safe, environment.
Works under the direct supervision of Sports Coordinator staff. Receive routine game day direction from Sports Program Assistant and Sports Facility Supervisor staff.
Supervision is not normally a function of this position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The information provided below encompasses the typical duties and capabilities linked with this classification. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Enforce/implement BPRD sports policies and playing rules in order to maintain an appropriate level of control, fairness and players safety.
- Handle emergency situations as needed.
- Complete required reports/paperwork.
- Be aware of facility safety hazards and deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible. If necessary, report safety hazards to supervisor.
- Communicate on a regular basis with coaches, participants, parent/guardians and district staff.
- Attend officials training clinics.
- Annually complete concussion training.
- Complete mandatory reporting training.
- Perform job related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The individual in this classification is expected to possess and exhibit the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
Considerable Knowledge of:
- Playing rules and regulations of specific sport required to do the job and safety guidelines related to assignment.
Skill and Ability to:
- Apply and enforce playing rules of specific sport;
- Exercise strong initiative and significant independent decision making;
- Demonstrate strong leadership and problem solving skills;
- Communicate effectively in both verbal and written form;
- Interact with a variety of patrons/participants; and
- Establish and maintain positive, respectful and cooperative relationships with all contacts.
The following are minimum qualifications for this classification.
Education, Experience, and Training
- At least 14 years old; AND
- Interest in sports
Licenses and Certifications:
- Licensed by an accredited officials association or governing body.
The following are working conditions, including environmental and physical demands, required for this classification.
- Depending on program, duties may be performed either indoors or outdoors, which may include working in extreme weather conditions.
- Work schedule is varied and may require evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Hours vary depending on specific sports program needs.
- The flow of work and character of duties involve normal mental and visual attention much or all of the time.
- Physical exertion includes frequent use of hand signals, walking/running/jogging, bending and the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds unassisted, pushing, pulling and kneeling in order to deliver equipment and supplies.
- Job stress may include dealing with crowds, uncooperative participants, difficult individuals, exposure to illness and periods of continuous demand.
Benefits: SeasonalCurrent Job Opportunities